Friday, April 22, 2011

Carrot Spice Cookies (using dehydrator)

Carrot Spice Cookies from "The Spunky Coconut Cookbook" by Kelly Brozyna pg. 158

(Julie's notes are in parenthesis)

Juice about 10 carrots, or enough to get 6 cups of pulp. (I used 2 to 1 ratio carrot to zucchini pulp)

Add to the food processor:
about 1/2 of the carrot pulp (and zucchini pulp)
2 tsp. lemon zest or 2 tsp. lemon juice
1 c. of pitted dates (about 9 dates)

Process for about a minute.
Add:
the other half of the carrot pulp (and zucchini pulp)
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cloves (she puts whole cloves in the coffee grinder)
1 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. agave
1/2 coconut oil (liquified)

Process to combine.
Pat into cookie shapes. (onto nonstick dehydrator sheets)
Dehydrate for about 10 hours at 130F. (Mine took 24 hours)

Kelly's story with the recipe:
When I get my juicer out to make zucchini bread and carrot cake, I take the opportunity to juice carrots for my raw carrot spice cookies. I don't know who loves them more, me  or Ashley? They can be as dry or chewy as you want, just start checking them after about 6 hours in the dehydrator, depending on their thickness. Keep in mind that the dryer they are, the smaller they will get, so if you like a crunchy cookie, start over sized. I prefer them dry on the outside and still soft in the middle, which takes about 10 hours for a thin cookie.

Julie's notes:
I didn't bother with juicing (don't have a juicer). I just threw baby carrots in the food processor fitted with the "S" blade and processed it to death with the zucchini. I had to process in 2 small batches to get the particles fine enough. Next time maybe squeeze carrot pulp in a nut bag to reduce water content--they reduced in size to about 1/2 of what they were. Next time: try less nutmeg/allspice, more ginger & cinnamon & more agave.
This smells heavenly while drying. Used #40 scoop on parchment paper in round dehydrator. This recipe seemed to make a lot of cookies. I made 1/2 batch at first. These also freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment