Friday, April 22, 2011

Vanilla Cookies (using dehydrator)

Vanilla Cookies from "The Spunky Coconut Cookbook" by Kelly V. Brozyna pg. 154
(Julie's notes are in parenthesis)

Soak 2 c. of raw cashews for about 8 hours. Rinse well and strain. (Rinse till water runs clear--you'll want to do this about 3 times during that 8 hours to keep the water clear as the enzyme inhibitors leach into the soak water)

Add the cashews to the food processor with:

2 T. ghee or use virgin coconut oil (liquefied) for raw cookies
2 T. honey (or date paste)
1 T. xylitol (or date paste)
2 tsp. vanilla

Puree'.

Scrape the sides, then add:

1 c. shredded coconut (dried, unsweetened)

Puree'.

Roll and press into shape.
Dehydrate for 18 to 24 hours at 130F.

Optional:

slivered almonds (in the dough mixture and on top)
2 tsp. orange or lemon zest

Kelly's story with the recipe:

When I made up the crust for my pecan pie, I thought the dough would make a perfect Christmas cookie, like a sugar cookie (I emphasize the word like here, as there is no refined sugar in these.) Since it's already an almost raw recipe, all that needs to be done is to substitute coconut oil for ghee, and dehydrate. I don't always make these cookies truly raw because I like a slightly buttery taste, so sometimes I keep the ghee. But you can use virgin coconut oil instead, for a raw cookie.

The second best thing to eating these yummy cookies, is the smell they create in your house for 18 to 24 hours (depending on the thickness) while they are dehydrating. It's a cookie dough in the oven kind of smell, only it lasts much longer than baking cookies, and these little guys are packed with nutrition.

Julie's side note: This is one of the first recipes I tried before I had a dehydrator. I put the dough on a cookie sheet and used the oven on the lowest setting (warm) and left the door ajar. They turned out beautifully and everyone loves these. So much easier with a dehydrator! :D I always quadruple this recipe! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment