Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!
A lot of people have asked me about my dietary changes and are interested to know what I eat and how it has changed my life and how I went about my adventure. So, to address these issues I have decided to make a blog to hopefully answer some questions to my family and friends.

 I have always eaten as well and healthy as possible but in March 2010 the food that I have enjoyed for years did not appeal to me at all. The thought of continuing the way I was going did not interest me. I was leaning towards salads, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds. I must interject here that my parents were way ahead of their time. I learned about green smoothies and I remember that my mom used to make us these when we were kids. She would take pineapple juice and put in the blender with as many dark green leafy things as possible. It looked a  little scary but all you tasted was pineapple juice. I thank my parents for being "weird" and for being interested in health and alternative methods of healing.

I learned about green smoothies and quickly became addicted. I would take my blender and put in some water and as it was running I would put in any raw fruit I had on hand, chopped, and the most dark green leafy vegetables I could fit and blend till as smooth as possible. I had always kind of toyed with the idea of blending salads, because of sensitive teeth, but didn't know how to go about it. I found great info on YouTube and some excellent recipes here and there online. There is a ton of information out there which I soaked up like a sponge.

I jumped into raw/veganism with both feet and enjoyed improvement in several ways immediately: more energy, better mood, clothes fitting better. I had been following this lifestyle for about 2 months when I started sleeping at night. This was HUGE for me because I have never really slept well for as long as I can remember. I would sleep for awhile and then be awake for awhile. Over the years I had learned to make peace with myself after a fashion. I have even stumped sleep clinic doctors which told me I wake up every hour and that I slept "normally". So when I actually started sleeping and dreaming I was extremely thankful. It could have been coincidence but I don't think so. And if it turns out to be a placebo effect--who cares?

I have had people and friends concerned for my health which I appreciate, especially as the weight started coming off , (23 pounds), which was a pleasant surprise. I say thank you and I love you and I have done research to back this up. This way of eating works for me. I have also experienced an increased spirituality and closeness to nature. My moods are happier and calmer.

I love experimenting in the kitchen and making raw recipes.

Some people have commented that this way of living would be too hard for them. I am not here to judge anyone or tell anyone how to live or what to eat. I am not qualified to do that. I suggest to people to do the research on their own and decide what level of health they desire. I might shock people if I say I have had a piece of cheese occasionally or an egg (cooked, of course), or some simple cooked rice. I am interested in listening to what my body needs. I am interested in 100% health. That's why I say I'm 90-95% raw/vegan because I don't believe in being fanatical about it.

People have also asked about kitchen equipment/tools. I must mention here that I have  burned out 2 "regular" blenders and have since then purchased a Blendtec blender which I LOVE! I have also burned out a "regular" dehydrator and have purchased a 9 tray Excalibur which, after research, have decided it is the cadillac of dehydrators. I love these tools that have blessed my life. I'm thankful!

I have learned to cherish and nourish and love my body. This is a personal journey. I wish you happiness as well!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Julie!! How about some green drink recipes? I have been interested in this, just to eat healthier, but all thats being sold are green powders and they are just so expensive. I want to get something that I will enjoy and make me feel healthier and full. Any ideas would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green smoothies are my most favorite! They are extremely easy! You can use any blender but a high-speed blender makes a smoother, more easily assimilated yummy drink. My green drinks vary daily but my basic launching point (feel free to experiment on your own) is:

    Start with some water or juice in your blender carafe (I eyeball this)
    I like to add frozen mixed fruit to this so that it can start to soften (eyeballing amounts)
    On top of this add: sliced bananas, oranges, grapes, blueberries, chunks of apples, any fruit that is lying around that the kids feel is not aesthetically pleasing but still nutritious, huge handfuls of spring greens, dandelion greens (from yard), baby spinach, celery including leaves, and whatever your body feels like that day. Sometimes I add a scoop of hemp protein powder, or some greens powder or even some chopped pitted dates for sweetness. If you have a regular blender add ingredients in stages as the blender is running, adding more water/liquid as needed. If you have a high speed blender add all the ingredients at the same time and turn it on and say a prayer of thanks. I like to make a huge amount at one time--one or two days worth. I use two large apple juice bottles that I wash and reuse. I make 2-3 blenders full of the smoothie and pour it in both bottles and mix and pour everything back and forth like a "mad scientist". I have a 96 oz carafe for my blender too which I love! I sip this mixture all day in addition to my meals and water.

    When I make these for the kids or for people that want to try some, I tend to put in more fruit than greens. A good ratio normally is 1/2 green, 1/2 fruit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete