Thursday, February 3, 2011

What do you eat everyday?

Hi everyone! Many people ask me this. I eat very simply usually. I do like to experiment with more complicated raw recipes when I have a little more time to work with. But daily, on average I am a "grazer". I do better with small meals throughout the day.


Breakfast: one or more of the following
Green smoothie (this is a staple for me! Excellent nutrition in 5 minutes) I sip this throughout the day
Fresh fruit (bananas are fast!)
Raw/vegan ice cream (yes! it's healthier than processed cereals!)
Raw/vegan cookies or crackers that I've made or other raw/vegan dessert :D

Snack:
Fruit or veggie or green smoothie or nuts/seed/raisins

Lunch:
Raw/vegan entree I've had from the night before
Avocado
Green salad (the darker green leafier the better) with tomato and avocado, add nuts/seeds for protein
Raw/vegan snacks I've brought

Snack:
Fruit, veggie, nuts/seed/raisins,

Supper:
Anything that's handy and simple
Green smoothie


Basically: Any fresh fruit, any dark green leafy, raw vegetables, anything that God made and is still in the original packaging--as unprocessed as possible. If it has a list of 'ingredients' I try to stay away from it if possible. The trick for me is eat before I get ravenous (hence the small meals). This way I stay eating healthy things instead of reaching for whatever. When I have time I make big batches of something and dehydrate or freeze it--like raw/vegan pancakes for example--then when I'm packing my lunch I can grab fruits, avocado, tomato and a package of whatever is ready to go. I eat things that are handy and fast, stuff that I can snack on between clients--especially the green smoothies!

Even if someone wanted to do just one thing healthier I would suggest adding green smoothies. If that's all you can do--it's the best gift for your body. You can pack a HUGE amount of excellent nutrition in a fast, convenient, portable medium. Kids like it too! If you can't overlook the color put it in a travel mug and drink it like that! Start small and be gentle with yourself. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Raw/vegan pancakes? OK, that's got my attention. How do you make those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy! Thanks for your interest! Raw/vegan pancakes! Here's a recipe I've used. It is from "Kristen Suzanne's Easy Raw Vegan Dehydrating" by Kristen Suzanne pg. 45

    Yield 2 3/4 c. batter or 10-13 pancakes

    These are simply amazing, and much healthier than using flour. Kids love them! And after breakfast, they make great snacks.

    1/3 c. raw macadamia nuts, unsoaked (I used Brazil nuts for a total of 1 1/3 c. nuts)
    1 c. raw Brazil nuts, unsoaked
    3/4 c. flax meal
    2 bananas, peeled
    1 apple, cored and chopped
    1/2 c. + 1 T. water
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    pinch nutmeg
    pinch Himalayan crystal salt

    Using a food processor, fitted with the "S" blade, grind the macadamia nuts and Brazil nuts to a fine texture. Add the flax meal to the food processor with the ground nuts and pulse a few times to incorporate. (I grind my flax seeds in a coffee grinder)

    In your blender, puree the remaining ingredients. Add the nut/flax mixture to the blender and blend to mix. If you don't have a high-powered blender you might have to do this in two batches. Using 1/4 c. measuring cup and an offset spatula, spread the batter into little pancakes (1/8-1/4 inch thick) on a dehydrator tray, fitted with a ParaFlexx sheet.

    Dehydrate your pancakes at 140 degrees F for one hour. Lower the temperature to 105 degrees F and continue dehydrating another 3-4 hours. Flip the pancakes onto the mesh dehydrator sheet and peel off the ParaFlexx sheet. Continue dehydrating 4-6 hours (or until your desired texture is achieved.)

    Drizzle with Sweet Maple Sauce, Raw Maple Syrup, or Easy Fruit Syrup (recipes are in the book)

    Julie's notes: These turned out good. Very filling and satisfying. Flavor neutral--could either be sweeter or saltier. I tried them plain though, too lazy to mess with the syrup thing. I started these at 1:20 pm. At 3:20 pm able to peel off and try--tasty and soft(like a pancake). At 8:20 pm Done to our liking. If you aren't able to turn down the temperature after one hour, just start it at 105 F degrees. It will take longer but it's easier!

    ReplyDelete