Thursday, February 3, 2011

What do you do when you go out to eat?

My thoughts are, it depends on where we go. Every restaurant I know of has some kind of salad which can be served without dressing (my preference). I like to bring a tomato and an avocado with me in my purse and I'll add these to a salad. I like to bring my own salt--my favorite is the Pink Himalayan sea salt. Mexican restaurants have pico de gallo which can be put on a salad, guacamole, chips  and salsa (yes, I know these are cooked, it's not the end of the world). I have made my own raw/vegan tortilla chips and brought those and enjoyed the salsa and guacamole that way.

Ruby Tuesdays is one of the only places I know of that still has a superb salad bar. They have spring mix, baby spinach, and romaine mixes, along with the iceberg (yawn). I load my plate with the greens and add tomatoes, raw mushrooms, green pepper slices, grated carrots, grapes, etc. and then back at my table I pull out my trusty avocado and add that. People are always impressed how beautiful, easy, and healthy it looks. If I don't have an avocado with me I order 2 sides of guacamole dip and add that to the salad. It's excellent!

Any restaurant has lemon wedges you can squeeze over a salad. Most places have fresh fruit or a salad bar. Most buffets I've seen have excellent choices like cut up veggies/fruits and yummy toppings that are healthy: grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg (if you're feeling festive), raw sunflower seeds, olive oil and vinegar--be creative!

I've also been in fancier restaurants where they tend to be a little more accommodating. I have a little talk with our server and explain what I'd like and the chef can go wild creating, and then I ask them to charge me creatively too. One place we were in was amazing. The waiter had me write down some suggestions and the chef had fun creating a gorgeous plate of dark greens, sliced raw veggies, sliced fruit arranged very beautifully. Everyone else at the table looked a little jealous of what I was eating and I jokingly told them "Get your own!". 

I always try to have some nuts/seeds in a baggie in my purse for emergencies or as a salad add on. (I know, I had to get a bigger purse). It also is nice to have something to snack on when everyone else is eating their appetizers or hot rolls. Or have them bring you a side salad as an appetizer so you won't be tempted.

Some people feel sorry for me and think it's restrictive or difficult to eat like this. I look at it this way: I focus on all the things I CAN eat not what I can't eat. I don't have to eat this way I CHOOSE to eat this way. I am willing to put in a little effort because I feel so healthy and alive and energetic when I feed and nourish my body this way. I also am not a strict fanatic about it. Once in awhile I will have a cooked vegetable (like at Thanksgiving dinner at a relative's house), I'll enjoy it very much and praise and thank the host very graciously.

Another strategy is to have a healthy snack before you go out so that you're not ravenously hungry (that's when it gets dangerous!)  I say be prepared and you're ready for anything! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment