Thursday, February 3, 2011

What do you do when traveling?

Be prepared! I travel with a personal size blender, a flexible cutting board, a small knife in a protective sheath (yes this is in my checked luggage, can't carry this stuff on.This is to make green smoothies when we get there. I also find a grocery store when we arrive and pick up some produce and dark greens and fresh fruit. Check to see if your hotel has a little refrigerator to store your treasures.

I carry with me: trail mix, raw/vegan cookies, crackers, & snacks (like granola) that are portable and easy to grab from my back pack which I carry on. Anything that is fragile like cookies or crackers I put in a zip top bag inside a tupperware container. Having my own food with me is comforting because I'm not at the mercy of the airlines--it's also cheaper and healthier to bring your own snacks. Beware of bringing fresh produce with you through security--sometimes they will confiscate it. Bring enough snacks to share with the people around you so they won't get jealous!

When you travel stay hydrated!!! I bring an empty water bottle with me through security and fill it from a water fountain on the other side (cause I'm frugal). Sometimes I'll splurge and buy a bottle of water and re-use it. The flight attendant also has water--take advantage of it and drink water whenever you can!

Many of the larger airports have kiosks offering fresh fruit and salads now which is nice! Thank you! Come to think of it, the smaller ones too are catching on. I noticed even at Dunkin' Donuts they had bananas for sale. YAY!

I'm thankful there are more and more healthy choices when traveling!

1 comment:

  1. very useful tips Julie! Thank you very much...
    I always find myself in a situation where there is just no vegetarian food for me and then I end up eating ice cream, chocolate and chips which is very unhealthy!

    ReplyDelete